Thursday, September 25, 2008

The major come apart at Si Senior

As I mentioned the one of my earlier blogs, my parents take the girls to the restaurant of their choice when they visit for birthdays. On Natalie's last birthday she chose Si Senior. Both of my girls love to eat their. At Si Senior if you tell them it is your birthday they bring you a fried ice cream. We had talked to Natalie about sharing it with her sister before they brought it. Natalie was fine with this. The waiter put it in the middle of the girls and even brought two spoons. Harley doesn't like cherries, so Natalie pulled the ice cream in front of her to get the cherry. This was the beginning of Harley's come apart. She started screaming at Natalie for sliding it away from her. I told her to stop screaming that Natalie was just getting the cherry and then she would put it back in the middle, which by the way Natalie had already done. Harley refused to stop screaming. I then told her she couldn't have any of the ice cream until she stopped. (This usually gets her calmed down to the point where I can talk to her about the problem) She continued to scream. I couldn't really talk to her because she was screaming and she had crawled under the table to my side and was leaning on my shoulder. My dad asked her if she wanted him to take her outside (which usually means a spanking to him) . Harley didn't understand that phrase because we just tell her a spank is coming. I told him I would spank her if I thought she needed it. (Simply because she had gone three days without a nap and going to bed at least an hour later than normal because of their visit) So at this point my dad is mad at me, and embarrassed at Harley's behavior so he goes out side. Harley is still crying really loud so I tell her she has one minute to stop or she doesn't get any ice cream. She doesn't stop and I made her sit at the table while Natalie finished the ice cream. It was complete torture for Harley to watch this and not even get one taste. Natalie tried to give her some at least twice, but I wouldn't allow it. I know that the best way to stop a fit is to remove the child, but sometimes the greater lesson is learned if you can just stick it out through the fit and make them see that not only are you not giving in, but everyone around them is observing their behavior. Harley did learn this lesson, and I can honestly say we have not had an episode like that again. So last week when Harley realized Grandma and Papa were coming for her birthday she announce she wanted to go to Si Senior and get that ice cream she couldn't have last time. I didn't realize she had looked forward to it for the past six months, but apparently she did. She even remembered her behavior and said "I won't act like that again, Mommy" So I could smile and thank God for the patience He gave me that night to deal with her. It was only His patience that got me through it, but there is no way I could have remained that calm on my own.

No comments: