Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pet Clarification


I have been asked what is a giant Giant African millipede, and why do you have it. So I thought I would let everyone know. We have the millipede because Harley's preschool teacher wanted to give it away because her grandson was not taking care of it. She did not like it and yet she was the only one feeding it and changing its bedding. It is Randle's pet, for camp of course. (yeah right) It will stay in the nature center and his office, I don't want it in the house. They have 2 pair of legs per segment and the average millipede has 80 to 200 legs.
I don't know how many segments ours has. I will try to count and update later. They eat fruits and vegetables. In the wild they eat the stuff that has fallen off the trees. So we give him (or her, it has to be a boy right what girl would look like that?) our fruits and vegetables that are not rotten, but too far gone for us to eat. He is not slimy. His shell is hard and his legs feel like stiff hair. I don't mind holing him, but prefer not to. You may have seen them at the zoo. I know the Fort Wayne Zoo has them to take on school and other educational trips.

No comments: