Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Excitment of Christmas Coming (Harley's Understanding of Christmas Decorations)

Today while Natalie was at school I pulled out the Christmas decorations. I don't necessarily have that many, and they aren't fancy, but they are mine. Some are from my mom or Randle's aunt and Nana, some are things I received as a child from family, and others we have added. My absolute favorite is our Advent Wreath. Randle and I went shopping after Christmas last year and got it on a great sale. It is beautiful. I can't wait to start it next Sunday. I hated to decorate without Natalie, but once I started pulling out boxes the excitement in Harley started bubbling out. Her eyes got even brighter, if that is possible, and she started jumping up and down. She helped me carefully unwrap, and clean each piece, then clean and pack up our regular decorations. She was adamant that we keep it a secret from Natalie and surprise her when we got home. Natalie in return for not getting to help with all of the initial decorating got to set up Thier Nativity on the coffee table (Little People) and got to pick which stocking she wanted to use this year. I love the excitement in the girls as Christmas approaches. What made today so special though, was that while we were pulling out all of the decorations Harley said, "Mommy, I know why we decorate the house and make it special pretty." When I asked why she replied with an amazing answer. "It isn't because we get gifts, or anything, it is because we decorate for Jesus's birthday. We like banners at our birthday parties, but He likes trees, aCheck Spellingnd ornaments, and lights, and pretend Him's to decorate His." I said "Your right, we do decorate to celebrate Jesus's birthday, that is the whole reason for the celebration, without him it would be just an ordinary day, and a very sad life. But what is a "pretend Him?" Her reply is classic Harley, "Mommy, your not supposed to ask questions if you know the answer, remember? It is the baby in the nativity (which sounded more like mapivity), they didn't have camera's then!" My little girls have the truth in their hearts even if it is jumbled in their heads. I LOVE IT. Natalie was very excited to find her "surprise" at home and loved setting up the Nativity. I love this season with the girls!

No comments: