Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Girls Just Keep Amazing Me

Monday we got a letter from Natalie's teacher telling us the results of her reading test. I am sure there are several different reading tests out there, but Mt. Laurel uses the STAR. It explains that there could be some variables so there is a level listed, but when you get to the level of book she should get there is a range listed. Anyway, she tested at a 3rd grade level at 4 months into the school year. At the end of 1st grade she was reading at a second grade level at the end of the year. So that means she advanced 4-5 school months over the summer. We are very excited, and proud of her.

Harley has been writing a lot and wanted to spell words. She has been spelling 3 letter words that end in "at" for about a month. She then started reading them. I couldn't believe she was sounding them out and spelling them before reading. Today she asked for our "fox thing" meaning our Hooked on Phonics. I got it out for her and she didn't want to start at the beginning where it teaches you letters and their sounds. I told her if she could name most of the letters and their sounds by herself I would let her skip it. She got all letter sounds but "g" and all letter names except for lower case and upper case "g" and lower case p,d,and b. Considering there are times when Natalie gets b and d confused and I knew that there are no q words until much later in the books, I let her skip the letter part. She has now read her first short story "Fat Cat, Fat Rat". It consists of the words: cat, rat, sat, and fat. She read the story 3 times to me and about 4 or 5 to Randle. She is now tackling the "an" family words. I can't believe she is reading at the age of 4.

No comments: