Saturday, February 21, 2009

YEAH We Have Chickens Again!!!

I have a cousin who has chickens and guineas. He has had several escape theirs pens and has not been able to catch them. So my brother went to help him. While Michael was helping catch the chickens he mentioned that we would like to have some. So he not only sent Michael to my house with 5 chickens (3hens and 2 roosters) but also with 150 feet of chicken wire. We were thankful for the chickens, but couldn't believe the generosity of the wire.


We have been talking about getting chickens and even had a dog house to convert into a chicken house, but hadn't had the time yet. So Randle and Michael rig something up so that they would be safe for the night. When they had finished we came in and Michael and me played the Wii, but that is a different story. The chickens appeared to be safe so after Michael left we went to bed.


The next morning Randle took the chickens some water and then left for work. When the girls and I got up we noticed on chicken was missing. We looked around for a while and finally say her. We couldn't catch her so we got ready to go to the dentist appointment. Harley went outside to check on the chicken and saw that she was on top of the house. While I was helping the girls get dressed we saw the missing chicken on top of the van. When we went out to the car we realized that there were two out. I was very frustrated, but we had to leave.

When we came back another had gotten out. We tried throwing feed out on the ground but they didn't care. I told the girls before we could try and catch them they had to clean out the van. We had both sliding doors open to let air through. One of the chickens hopped right into the van. The girls tried to get it, but couldn't . So she flew off.

They finally finished with the car an d went in to change into play clothes. When they came back out we chased the chickens all around the house. We couldn't even get close. One of the girls had run into the house for something and left the door open. About the time I realized it I saw a chicken on the front porch. Not wanting a chicken in the house I went to close the door. Only the chicken was faster and went straight into the house.

We have all hardwoods, tile or linoleum. It ran into the living room and stopped I tried to sneak up behind it,but it saw me and ran to the kitchen. It was standing under the table facing my room. I went to shut my bedroom door afraid of what might happen if it got on my bed. Natalie stood on one side of the table and Harley on the other ready for when she ran. I got on my knees to try and get her only to have her take off into the living room. I scrambled up and tried to run ahead to close the other doors. It hit the living room and started sliding all over the place, but somehow stayed out of reach. It ran into the girls' room and I caught her just before she ran under the bed.

All of this lasted about 15 minutes. I have never laughed so hard in my life. You never know what will happen at our house, but I would never have dreamed of a chicken chase in the house. Luckily as scared as she was she didn't poop anywhere in the house.

Today we had to catch two others, one of which we thought has been eaten because she hadn't been seen since Friday morning. It turns out that "she"has spurs and may be a boy. We are going to have to do some research.

No comments: